As I mentioned before, Camille and I went to the hospital at about 1 am Friday morning because she was having very intense contractions and constant nausea. To our relief, it turned out that her body was not actually going into labor, but just causing her a great deal pain (as if that were a positive note). Apparently there was some miscommunication between us and the nurses because we were discharged and sent home around 5 am; it wasn't long until the the medications wore off and we realized that we probably should not have left the hospital. Her doctor had us come into her office around 9 am and in less than 5 minutes of examining Camille rushed us to the Emergency Room.
The rest of that day was pretty miserable. The pain and nausea meds only seemed to provide brief relief from the pain and endless pokes and prods and our frustration continued to mount as each test and examination came back negative for any internal problems and/ or infections. Once all of the blood, ultra sound, and MRI test came back normal we hesitantly agreed to go ahead with an amniocentesis test where amniotic fluid around the baby would be tested for an infection. The risks felt really high - a positive result would have required us to give up our baby boy and an accident of any kind would have likely sent Camille directly into labor way too early to save the baby - but the risk of not knowing seemed even higher. What a relief it was to hear that everything in the uterus was healthy and working correctly. At this point, even thought the Doctors has ruled out the possibility of all of this being caused by an infected appendix, they felt like it was necessary to visually check it. At approximately 11:30 pm on Friday night Camille and I were separated for the first time during this ordeal as she was rolled down the hall to surgery. When the surgeon returned he, as you can probably guess by now, informed us that nothing was wrong, out of place, or abnormal; the appendix however, even though it was healthy, was removed as a precaution. No one had a clue as to what could be causing There was no sleep that night.
Saturday was less eventful, but was just as busy: hourly blood tests, IV changes, nausea, pain, and a constant flow of specialists and consulting doctors kept us wide awake throughout the day. It was decided that Camille needed closer attention by a neonatalogist group of doctors who specialize in uncommon and unsolvable pregnancy issues, so she was transferred to a much larger, more central hospital here in Salt Lake.
Things began to turn around late Saturday night and early Sunday Morning. Her white blood count dropped to half the level it had been and the contractions faded off and stopped. We spent Sunday in recovery mode: sleeping a lot, walking around a little bit, and drinking. We were transferred to the post-partum area on Sunday night, so that she could rest more without as much interruption and tests.
So far this morning things are really looking good. They removed the IV and are slowing trying her on crackers and liquids. Camille is starting to move around a lot more and we took a short walk around the floor. Actually, we're listening to our baby's heart beat right now. I think he's starved for attention because he keeps kicking the Doppler. Strong heart beat, 144 beets per minute. Unless anything drastically changes, we were told that she is making good progress and that we should be able to go home either later tonight or first thing on Tuesday.
I am so proud of Camille, she has gone through so much in the past couple days and though in a lot of pain and frustration, has stayed positive throughout. It's nice to see her smiling a little bit again and such a relief to know that things are finally past us and that she's on the road to being healthy again. I love you Camille and I'll never leave your side.
Thanks again to everyone for your kind words, calls, and visits. It means a lot to know how many people out there are thinking and praying for Camille. We love you all and hope to see you soon.
23 comments:
Just want you to know that the Woodbury's are thinking about and praying for you guys. You have really had a difficult pregnancy and it must be so frustrating and even scarey at times. All I can say is it will be totally worth it when you get that cute little guy here safe and sound. Camille is lucky to have such a great guy by her side. Hang in there!
Wow, Camille! What a crazy thing. Glad to hear you are starting to recover. We're praying for you guys!
Oh gosh, how terrible. I can't imagine what you've been through. You worry like you've never worried before while being pregnant and I can't imagine what kind of mental/emotional/physical drain you've been through. Camille, you are so strong. You two are so lucky to have each other. Hang in, I'll be thinking and praying for you. Let me know if you want dinner and I'll get a pizza for you guys. Hang in there. Heavenly Father will take care of you guys. He loves all three of you. :)
I'm glad to hear that things are going better. There is nothing more scary being in the hospital at this point. I had somewhat of the same thing and can relate to how scary and exhausting it is. You have such a wonderful husband and I am sure your family is there with you as well. My thoughts are with you and I hope that you are feeling better and can go home soon.
Wow! What an ordeal! So what was actually wrong with her? Did they figure anything out that was causing the pain and nausea? Was it the appendix after all? That must have been so scary for you both. I'm glad things are looking better. We love you Camille! I'm sorry you have to go through such a hard pregnancy, but that little boy will be so worth it!!
I am so sorry to hear about all this. You both have all our love. You're in our thoughts and prayers!
Thanks for the update Matt. We are glad to hear good news!!
Hope you're feeling better soon Camille! You're in our thoughts and prayers!
Thanks so much for posting this blog. I have been wanting to call someone, but I didn't want to be a bother. I am so glad things are turning around. Hopefully, an answer can be found for this episode. Thankfully, it sounds as if the baby is doing well and that Camille is also gaining her strength. Please share our love with her. Valerie and David
I'm glad Camille is doing better, our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!
Thanks for taking care of my sis, Matt. We're glad that things are looking up.
We are glad to hear that you are feeling better and baby is well. We are thinking and praying for you. Love Russ and Em.
wow that's aweful! Hoe frustrating that they coulnd't figure it out! What did it end up being? It's good to hear she's doing better. That's one lucky boy to have such a strong mama.
We're glad to hear that things are starting to improve. We love you both. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. If you have any baby questions don't hesitate to call.
Oh my goodness that is so sad. I am so glad everything is alright with both Camille and the baby. We will keep you in our prayers. I hope all stays well for the rest of your pregnancy!!
Wow!!! What a difficult thing to have to go through, let alone being pregnant too. I'm so sorry. Its nice to know the baby is safe and sound in that sac of water and isn't phased much by what goes on with Mom. What a relief you are both ok. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck. Keep smiling Camille.
I'm glad Camille is finally feeling better and especially glad that she has such a great guy by her side. :)
Oh my gosh you guys! I hope things are continuing to look up. Love you and we're praying for you.
Wow! I had no idea things were so crazy for you guys lately. I'm glad you're starting to recover Camille! Chace and I will keep you guys in our prayers!
Good heavens! Camille, I had no clue! That sounds awful! I truly hope everything is better now! So scary...
I'm so sorry things have been so scary for you guys with the baby! I'm so relieved though to know you are out of the hospital! If there is anything at all that I can do please let me know! That dinner offer is still good! Just let me know when! Love you guys!
So glad to hear that you are back home and on the mend. We'll keep you and your little one in our prayers.
WOW. that is so scary. Camille, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that you are doing better.
Post a Comment