We left for our honeymoon on the morning of June 3rd to go to Cancun Mexico. When we got to the airport, we were told that our flight to Dallas was delayed. We were a little bummed, but knew we still had plenty of time to make our connecting flight to Cancun. Progressively throughout the day, the flight was delayed more and more so we started to panic. After 5 hours in the airport, and knowing we had already missed our connecting flight, the plane arrived.
Everybody was excited and ready
to get on the plane, when they announced that there had been an oil spill! That took another 45 minutes to clean up, and we were finally on our way.We arrived in Dallas not knowing quite where to go since we could not get another flight until late in the morning on June 4th. Matt called his Dad, who is in the hotel business, and graciously he found us a great place to stay. That first night of our honeymoon, we did not have a lot of options, so Matt ran across the street to Denny's and we ate a midnight meal.
We got up early the next morning to try to catch an earlier flight on standby and (here is where the only amazing thing of the whole week happens) we got on it!
We got to Cancun around 11 am. When we arrived at the airport, the travel company we were with claimed they could not find our information and they did not want to drive us "all the way" to our destination. So, we stood out in the rain, and hoped something good would happen...what else could we do? Finally they found our information and put us into a shuttle. Wahoo!!
We arrived at the Coco Bay Resort, which was beautiful, and went to our room, to find 2 single beds on opposite sides of the room! We went to the front desk to explain there must have been a mix-up. I said to the receptionist "our room has 2 beds in it instead of 1" and she replied with an emphatic "So?" Still, she agreed to let us switch rooms.
We got our bags into the room, and not wanting to waste anymore of our little time left, we headed out to the pool and beach. Within about 30 minutes we realized we were getting a little bit red, so we slathered on the sunscreen. Little did we know that those 30 minutes had already done the damage. After awhile we went to go eat dinner. As we went to our room to change, we both started to mention we were feeling pretty burnt. By that evening, pretty burnt became blisters and practically being unable to move (I am not exaggerating in the slightest!). We were so sore and were both limping. Every movement was excruciatingly painful, and I'm sure neither had ever been even close to being sooo sunburned before in our lives!
The next day, we decided despite the
sunburn, we did not have a lot of time left, so we would try to make the best of it. We went out on a sailboat, went snorkeling, and kayaking. While we were on the kayak, Matt was playing around a little bit and tipped the boat while I was standing up, causing my already broken toe (which I broke when I kicked the wall accidentally while we were moving into our apt) to twist pretty painfully. I told him to let me out so I could walk back because my foot was throbbing. He rowed over to the beach and I climbed out and sat there for a minute. Suddenly I heard him yell "move!" I looked up just in time to see a big wave hit the kayak and see it running completely over my body. Neither of us could get it off very well, but just after we did, before I knew it another wave hit the kayak and it ran over me again. I had cuts and bruises up the sides of my thighs and I started to cry. Behind us we heard a couple of the natives laughing at me, and I decided I was safer in the boat after all so I got back in and we rowed back.The rest of the trip was more relaxed
and significantly less painful, but unfortunately we were only able to experience that on the day and a half we had left.We left on June 7th to catch our flight back to Dallas, which of course was delayed. We were pretty worried again that we would miss our connecting flight. We got off the plane in Dallas running as fast as we could, and barely made it to our flight to SLC.
It may sound like I'm complaining, but honestly, all in all we had a wonderful and very memorable honeymoon, but I think it is safe to say we will probably be staying close to home for our next few vacations:)
1 comment:
Post a Comment