Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Case of the Disappearing Dishes

To most of you, this probably just looks like a pile of clean dishes drying on a towel.  Sure, we all love to have clean dishes at the end of the day, but this picture means much much more to me.

This picture means that my husband loves me unconditionally, in every situation and will do absolutely anything for me...I truly mean anything.

Almost every night in our home, you will hear a conversation like this:

Matt: Why are you up so late doing the dishes?  Go to bed!
Me: I need to finish them really quick, don't worry about it.
Matt: You go to bed, I'll finish them when I need to take a break from studying tonight.  It will help keep me awake.
Me: Thanks, but you offer every night and every night the dishes never actually get done because you fall asleep.  Plus I know you have plenty of your own stuff to do, so don't worry about it, I'll finish them.
Matt: You need to trust me.  If I say I will do them tonight, I will do them.
Me: But you never actually do them when you say that because you are just too busy!
Matt: Seriously, trust me.  I WILL do the dishes.

I end up going to bed and figuring that he will exhaust himself (for those who don't know, he is working about 25 hours a week on top of 12 credit hours on his summer semester, which is definitley harder than a regular semester) and I will finish them up the next day.

Last night we had the same conversation and I went to bed.  I woke up at 4 am to get a drink and saw the dishes in the sink...no surprise to me.  I woke up again at 7 and Matt was in the shower.  The dishes were still in the sink.  I fell asleep for a few more minutes, and in that time Matt got ready and left for his 7:30 class.  When I went into the kitchen at 7:30, the dishes were gone and not only that, they were not even drying on the towel where we normally put them.  I thought, "how sweet!  He actually washed and dried them and put them away!"  I started looking for the clean dishes and couldn't find them anywhere.  I opened every closet, looked under the bed, in the oven, even in the trunk of the car...nothing.  I was really confused.

I asked Matt about it later and he told me I just must have missed them, because they were on the drying towel.  He tried to convince me that I was just really sleepy and got confused...nice try buster.  Finally, he admits that he hid them.  Yes, he actually HID the dishes.  Where?  In the baby's closet!  I had actually looked there, but not hard enough I guess.  I told everyone at work and we were all practically rolling on the floor laughing.  Matt's explanation was that he didn't want me to feel let down.

Personally, I think it is not only the most hilarious thing I've ever heard, but definitely the sweetest.  Matt is always willing to go out of his way to take care of me and make me feel special. As silly as it sounds, I love him even more today because he was willing to hide the dishes so I would feel like he was keeping any promise he made to me.  Am I not the luckiest girl in the world??  I love you Matt, thanks for being the husband of my dreams.

8 comments:

LeAnn said...

That is so sweet and so funny at the same time. You are one lucky girl!

Shirley said...

very cute story! He will have to get used to doing the dishes sooner or later. The bigger you get, the harder it is to do them. I didn't have to do dishes for two whole months! :)

Rachel and Todd said...

Hi Camille! I haven't checked your blog in a while, but I got caught up! (And your husband is so sweet for doing what he did, funny though it be.) Did you ever figure out why you went though all that pain? What was described sounded a lot like when I had a kidney stone when I was pregnant. Oh, it was painful and horrific nausea. It was also a hard thing for the doctors to detect . . . anyway, I'm excited for you two and your new little boy!!

Tristen and Scott said...

That is absolutely hilarious! Matt definitely deserves the best creativity award.

BECKY said...

HILARIOUS! :)

Love all the past few posts... you guys have been so bizzay with stuff!! All in all it sounds wonderful though... the trips with the family look way fun. :)

korth fam said...

oh my hilarious story!! Too funny. What a good guy for keeping his word! :)And best of luck to him this semester, that is an insane work load!

Aaron and Jen said...

That is so sweet! Tell Matt to hang in there!

Erin said...

Hi!! It was great to talk with you the other day! You are just about the cutest little pregnant person I've ever seen! ADORABLE!!

I love this story about your husband! It actually sounds like something my husband would do... isn't it great to have such cute husbands?! Love it!