Friday, September 17, 2010

One

Cameron's first birthday is tomorrow. Actually, his first birthday is in just under 2 hours. He was born at 12:58 am, one year ago.

All day as I've been planning out a fun day for him tomorrow (I guess mostly for us, since he doesn't quite understand) I've been kind of emotional...I can't believe how fast this year has flown by!
I wish I was as good at writing as my sister, Rachelle, but I'm not. I guess I'll just kind of have to steal what she said. Her little boy turned one 2 weeks ago. She wrote that one year ago, her little boy entered her heart and took possession of it, and now, a year later, he hasn't given back even one teensy weensy little bit of it. I read that and it made me think of Cameron. I decided that not only did he not give it back, but he made my heart grow, and took up all those parts too.

People say all kinds of mushy emotional things about having children. The truth I've learned over the past year, is that I have never done a harder job in my life. I have never worried so much, cried so much, and I have never loved so much, and all the mushy gushy things about parenthood are true. I am different now that I have a Mother's heart. I look at the world in a different way and through different eyes. I am fascinated by the tiniest things: the way Cameron pouts his lips when he sleeps, the way he makes his grouchy face and pretends to cry when he doesn't get his way. His fascination with a roll of toilet paper, or a garden rake. Each day is new and holds a different adventure for him, and so it does for me too. I think children help you see the world much more simply and appreciate the small things and the small moments. I have come to learn that it isn't all that important to have a perfectly clean house, dinner on the table, or all the ironing or washing done (although I still admit I criticize myself plenty over all of those) but that I would rather read a book with Cam, or giggle about something silly, or just take a few minutes to help him learn how to open and close a door.

Cameron, I love you. You make me a better, more patient and kind person. I am so thankful to be your Mama. Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

Heidi Smith said...

Happy Birthday Cameron!

Rachelle said...

I don't know... that was some pretty good writing. Well said. Happy birthday Cameron.

Aaron and Jen said...

What are you talking about? That was beautiful! You are such a good mom! Cameron is a lucky little boy! Happy Birthday Cameron!!!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Cameron! enjoy your day!

Lefty Lindy said...

Hey! I love you blog! And the way you write! Don't change it, because that was great!

BECKY said...

What a sweet post! Loved all the pics too! I can't believe a picture of me coloring is not post worthy!!!

Mary said...

Wow, I can't believe how much hair Cameron had when he was born! Thanks for your thoughts on motherhood. Even though I've only been a mom for a month, I still relate completely to everything you said. I've never done anything more difficult, yet so rewarding in my entire life.