My Dad's parents are getting pretty old. They are both in their nineties and in June will celebrate 70 years of marriage. 70!!!! That's insane!
Anyway, neither of them are doing very well. My Grandpa seems to have had a quick onset of Alzheimers and is deteriorating quickly. Grandma has good moments and bad moments with the same type of problem, and physically both are in poor health. My siblings and I thought it would be nice to make a quick trip out to visit in case it may be the last time we see them.
Since my Grandpa tends to be overwhelmed by too many people, and can't remember a lot of people these days, we left all the kids and spouses home. My brothers and I had a lot of fun spending the day together driving out to Tridell, talking about good memories and just being goofy.
Grandpa was having a good day when we got there, and was hilarious. He remembered us (or at least said he did) but had difficulties with following the flow of the conversation. He would say the strangest things at the strangest times. My Grandma told him not to stand up because he wasn't wearing any pants. He looked at her with doubt all over his face and said, "I'm not wearing any pants??? Now that's a new angle!" Before we left for the day I played the piano and we sang a little bit, because both of my Grandparents have always loved music. It was a really special opportunity to spend the day with them. I love them both so much and have so many wonderful memories with them. I only hope and pray that they can be comfortable and just be together for their last days on earth.
2 comments:
I wish I could have been there....
I'm so glad you got to do this!
Post a Comment