Friday, February 8, 2008

Wonderful

We had the chance to go to President Hinckley's viewing on Thursday afternoon. The lines weren't anything even close to what they were on Friday. The whole thing probably took us about 1 hour. I was so grateful for the opportunity to go. It was such a peaceful and special experience that Matt and I were both so glad to be a part of.

On Saturday we spent most of the day watching the funeral, which was so touching to see. As the funeral ended and we saw the map on the news of were the funeral entourage would be driving, we realized that we live just 1 block south of where they would be passing. We decided to walk down and see it for ourselves.

It turned out to be such a special experience. Our neighbors were down there, and lent us a white burp cloth, because that was all they had. It was so touching to see President Hinckley's family driving by, and waving back at everybody who was along the street waving their white handkerchiefs. It just showed the family's gratitude and appreciation. It was nice to have one last chance to say a private goodbye to President Hinckley. I am so grateful for that wonderful man, and likewise, so grateful for President Monson, to take on this huge responsibility. Isn't the gospel wonderful?

1 comment:

The Goodrich's said...

Yes, it is wonderful. I don't think I'll ever forget the feelings I had as I walked by Pres Hinckley's casket-the Spirit was really strong-the 3 1/2 hour wait was definitely worth it.